If you are an empath or suspect you might be, then you understand the challenges that go with being an empath. You have probably experienced confusion about what you were feeling, exhaustion over spending time in crowded places like a grocery store or movie theater, and fear about being overwhelmed by strong personalities. There is a lot to learn and heal in order to be happy and emotionally healthy as an empath and an empath mentor can help you on your way.
What is an Empath?
An empath is someone who experiences the world they live in deeply. They have heightened senses and perceptions allowing them to perceive people and situations with great detail. Empaths are born with or develop a highly sensitive nervous system that can sense even slight changes in the world around them. Their heightened perceptions mean empaths live with any or all of the following experiences :
- feel or sense what other people are feeling
- find connections or solutions to problems that are often missed by others
- see a situation or argument from many different angles, making it difficult for them to commit to their own belief/stance
- crave connection and avoid conflict
- feel their emotions with intensity
- know or feel the connection between all things, therefore they operate from a “we” perspective instead of a “me” perspective.
What is a Mentor?
A mentor understands your experiences and what you are seeking to achieve. They see you and what you are capable of more clearly than you can currently see yourself because they have been where you are or some similar version of it.
Mentors reflect what they see back to you providing context that you can’t see or don’t yet know. They walk beside you while helping you navigate, reframe, and press through the challenges you are facing.
As Simon Sinek says, “a mentor is not someone who walks ahead of us to show us how they did it. A mentor walks alongside us to show us what we can do.”
Why Work with an Empath Mentor?
The society we grew up in has taught us what is normal, acceptable, and what success looks like. Unfortunately for empaths, that “normal” doesn’t feel like it includes you.
You have been told you are too sensitive or too much as long as you can remember. Maybe you stop expressing yourself honestly and adopted a “mask” that is more palatable to the society you live in.
The behaviors we adopted in our youth kept us safe and connected to people we needed in order to survive. In adulthood, it is time to take off the mask and discover the real you behind it.
This work is confusing and can be uncomfortable sometimes and it is a lot easier and has more successful outcomes when we find a mentor, coach, or healer to help you stay grounded and safe. And it helps a lot if this person is also an empath who also did the work to be comfortable being themselves.
We live in a culture that doesn’t value self-reflection and healing one’s psyche. This work is seen by many as weak or even self-indulgent. I can assure it isn’t either. Taking the time to understand who you are and how to operate this body/mind/soul in healthy ways is not weak. And healing your pain will actually let you live your life not always focused on how bad you feel or worrying about what will harm you next.
An empath mentor helps you live your life with more confidence in yourself. They encourage you to understand what needs you have and how to meet them in healthy ways. There is nothing more empowering knowing yourself well and having the tools and understanding you need to thrive.
What Does an Empath Mentor Do?
Mentoring includes any of the following:
- healing the wounds you got from being different
- teaching about what an empath is and how their bodies and psyches operate
- teaching tools for managing your energy
- helping empaths with boundaries and managing relationships
- supporting empaths as they make changes to feel better
As an empath mentor, I offer a couple different ways to do the important work of self-discovery and healing.
- The Empath Apprenticeship is for those empaths who are new to the concept and/or new to claiming it for themselves. It teaches Empath 101 and participants learn how to be an empowered empath who has claimed their sensitivities as their skills and uses them for their own good.
- Mentoring packages are for empaths that are ready to fully embrace being an empath and live their life implementing the tools and practices of an empowered empath.
When an empath chooses to go all-in they will experience resistance both in themselves and from their loved ones. It is hard to embrace because it means changing how they show up and the people in their lives often have feelings about their changes. Mentoring provides more one-on-one time to help with those challenges.
If you are not sure if this is what you need or want, I encourage you to learn more about How We Work Together to help you decide if this might be the right path for you.
If you are thinking this might be for you and would like to talk more about it, you can schedule a 30-minute consultation to see what you think. You can ask any questions you have while you see if we are a good fit to work together.